The State Rental Allowance Program (RAP) is a temporary (one to two years) rental assistance program that helps families and individuals that are homeless or experiencing critical or emergency housing needs. Participants receive a subsidy certificate and locate rental units in the private rental market.

Participants must work with a case manager during the period of RAP assistance in order to secure permanent affordable housing by the time RAP assistance ends.

To be eligible for the program, households must be homeless and working with a case manager through a service provider agency. Most often, households are in shelters or transitional housing programs under the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services and working with a case manager through their temporary housing program.

Households who have a lease in their name and are living in a unit, are NOT eligible for the program, even if they are behind on their rent or about to be evicted. Case managers assess households and determine whether they may make a referral to State RAP. Case managers must also provide or arrange for on-going case management.

HOC can only accept referrals from service providers. There is no process for applying for State RAP on your own or applying for a referral.